The below is based on international mixed rules from the internet:
- Each team will have equal number of players and same number of each gender (eg. 6 vs 6 consisting of 3 men, 3 women for each team, etc.)
- The goalkeeper must wear a facemask and helmet with a mouth guard, throat protector and chest protector. The goalkeeper may wear padding on hands, arms, legs, shoulders and chest.
- 5-second rule will be used, therefore the ball must be released before the fifth count – count down from 5 to 1.
- Matches start with a draw, which is taken by the centre position. A draw is used to start each half and after each goal, and it takes place at the centre of the field.
- There are no boundaries but the umpire will bring you back on to the pitch if you run too far.
- When the whistle goes you MUST STAND STILL.
- You are not allowed to intentionally drop the ball, and then pick it up in order to re-start the 5-second rule
- If the ball comes off of any part of any player’s body, then possession is given to the opposing tem (THIS RULE DOES NOT APPLY IF THE PLAYER IS NOT BEEN CHALLENGED FOR THE BALL – THEREFORE NO ADVANTAGE GAINED) this rule gets confusing so don’t worry about it to much
- For a major foul you have to stand 4m behind the person that you fouled.
- For a minor foul you stand to the side of the person you fouled, 1m from them, (giving them the ball.)
- In extreme cases yellow and red cards are given- two yellows make a red and if you have a red card you are sent off. If the umpire is given reason to, a player may be banned from further play.
- Dangerous Shot: Shooting must be controlled, with no shooting through players.
- Misconduct: Occurs when a player conducts themselves in a rough, dangerous or unsportsman-like manner, persistently causes infringement of the rules, or deliberately endangers the safety of opposing players.
- Slashing : Occurs when a defender swings their stick at an opponent’s stick or body with deliberate viciousness or recklessness, whether or not the opponent’s stick or body is struck.
- Contact : The act of using an uncontrolled or controlled tap, or a charge, barge, fend, on any part of an opponent’s body, with stick, body, arm, or elbow.
- Blocking: Occurs when contact is initiated by a defender who has moved into the path of an opponent with the ball without giving that player a chance to stop or change direction.
- Dangerous Pass: Occurs when a player flicks the ball on to a team-mate, either in the air or on the ground without having full control of the ball, i.e. without having caught/trapped the ball or makes any type of pass over the shoulder.
- Holding rule: Occurs when any field player holds the ball for more than 5 seconds control
- Goal Circle Fouls : Occurs when any part of an offensive or defensive player’s body or stick, except that of the goalkeeper, enters the goal circle touching the floor. If the stick is in the air it is ok.
- Warding Off: Occurs when a player guards a ground ball with their stick or foot, removes one hand from the stick and uses their free arm to ward off an opponent, or checks an opponent’s empty stick while they is trying to get possession of the ball.
- Empty Stick Check : A player is not allowed to hit their opponent’s stick if there is no ball in it- i.e. they can’t fend it off.
- Covering : Occurs when a player puts their stick over the ball to prevent others picking it up.
- Body Ball: A ball that hits a field player’s body to their distinct advantage.
- Three Seconds: A defender may not stand within the eight-meter arc, unless they are closely marking an opponent, for more than three seconds.
Goal Circle / Crease:
No player, other than the goalie may enter the goal crease
Outside the goal circle there is an 11m-exclusion zone. No defenders are allowed in this area unless they are directly marking an opponent (i.e. no further than 1m away from your other player) . You can only, legally, be in this area for 3 seconds if you are without an opponent.
Fouls in this 11m fan- you must clear the area, and a free position is given to the player who was fouled. They must stand on the nearest hash mark on the edge of the fan. All other players must be at least 4m away.
- If the umpire cannot decide whom the ball should be given to then a toss up is done.
- This is when the two players are placed side-by-side 1m apart. The umpire stands in front of them, throws the ball in-between them and blows the whistle.
Added rules in Barcelona
In the Fan:
The restricted area directly in front of the goal & crease (marked by the 2 small cones) can be entered if you are:
- a defender marking an opponent who has entered into the area
- an attacking player ( with or without the ball) and must clear out of the area within 3 seconds
The team penalized will turn the ball over to the opposing team. In case of penalty given to the defending team, 1 warning is given once, the next time will be a 1 minute penalty to the offending player (kept off the field) immediately.